City of Longmont, Boulder County, Colorado; Official Government Website
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government

City of Longmont FAQ & City Source

You are viewing City Source, the City of Longmont's integrated telephone and web information system. Visit the introduction page to learn more or to access the system by phone dial 303-774-4370.

Search for :       [Search Tips]
Missing Persons & Runaways

Individuals under 18 years of age who run away from their parents or guardians are not considered to have committed a criminal offense in the State of Colorado. When the Police Department receives a complaint of a juvenile runaway, a field report is completed and the information is entered into both the Colorado and national crime information computer systems. Any law enforcement officer who comes into contact with runaway juveniles will then be able to check their status through these information systems. Officers making contact with reported runaways will take the juveniles into temporary custody, and will notify the parents or guardians. Parents and guardians are encouraged to take the initiative in locating their children by contacting their friends and acquaintances, and by checking locations their children frequent. Individuals who knowingly provide shelter to runaways without the consent of the parents or guardians can be charged with aiding or harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Disappearances of a highly suspicious nature may warrant a more involved investigation by this agency. For more information, or to report a Missing person or runaway, call the Longmont Police Department at (303) 651-8555.

Back to Police Department Services